Is it safe for Black Americans in Turkey and specifically is Bodrum safe? I was invited to sail the Turkish Riviera with SCIC-Sailing luxury charter yacht company. on an all-Black Press trip.
When I told my friends and family I was traveling to Turkey every single person asked me if it was a good idea because they were worried if Turkey was safe.
The links in this post may be affiliate links. That means that if you click them and make a purchase, this site makes a commission. It will have no impact on the price you pay or the experience of your purchase.
While traveling to a foreign country can be a thrilling experience, it is important to remain aware of the potential risks associated with your destination.
With its rich cultural history and stunning Mediterranean coastline, Bodrum, Turkey is an increasingly popular tourist destination. But is Bodrum safe? Is Turkey safe?
Turkey has a serious problem with its international image. Americans see the country as a breeding ground and facilitator of Islamic terrorism.
They also see it as a violent place where visitors have to be ready for a terrorist attack which is not true but this misconception refuses to go away.
There were 4 mass shootings in the US this week alone but somehow Americans are brainwashed to believe other destinations are unsafe which is so bizarre to me.
In this blog post, we will explore safety tips and resources for staying safe in Bodrum, so you can have a worry-free experience and make the most of your trip.
The easy answer to this question is yes; Bodrum is a very safe place to vacation in Turkey, but there are some precautions you should take while visiting Turkey as an African American tourist as you would any other destination.
This article goes over all of the travel and safety tips you need to know before visiting Bodrum whether you are going on a luxury cruise around the Turkish Meditterrea with the SCIC-Sailing Cruise from Bodrum or spending some much-needed time with your partner at The Edition Bodrum.
There are so many common misconceptions about Turkey that are all over Beyonce’s innanets that I had no choice but to clear these misconceptions up regarding traveling to Bodrum, Turkey.
About 75% of the country is Turkish, about 20% is Kurdish, and the remaining 5% are all other minorities.
First of all, Turkey is not an Arabic country. This makes the official language Turkish not Arabic and the Turkish Alphabet is Latin Alphabet.
Turkey is a secular, democratic country (Republic of Turkey). Although most of the citizens are Muslim (98% of people), there is no obligation to wear a burka.
You are free to wear whatever you want.
Even though drinking alcohol is not popular among religious people, you can buy and drink alcohol. In some regions of Turkey, especially on the Mediterranean coast, there are some amazing wineries, and there’s even a Turkish brand of beer; Efes Pilsen.
Also, click here if you need my packing safety checklist for traveling to Turkey. You can find everything from diversion cans, pocket scrunchies with a hidden zipper, portable door locks for hotels, and more to keep you safe while traveling no matter the destination.
Is Bodrum Safe
Before you book your trip to Bodrum, it’s important to be aware of the current situation in Turkey.
The U.S. State Department has issued a Turkey travel advisory due to the potential for terrorism, political unrest, and the ongoing conflict in neighboring Syria.
While Bodrum is generally considered a safe tourist destination, it’s important to be aware of the potential risks and to take precautions to stay safe during your trip.
Keep an eye on the latest Turkey travel advisory updates, and consider consulting with a travel agent or local experts to stay informed about the situation on the ground.
Is it Safe to Cruise on a Luxury Turkish Gulet?
Bodrum is one of the best places in Turkey to go sailing, thanks to its stunning coastline and clear blue waters.
However, safety should always be a priority when it comes to water-based activities, especially in a foreign country.
Here are a few tips to keep in mind when planning your sailing trip in Bodrum:
1. Choose a reputable charter company: Before booking your sailing trip, make sure you do your research on the different charter companies available. Look for companies that have good reviews and a proven track record of safety. Ask for recommendations from fellow travelers or check online forums for advice.
2. Check weather conditions: It’s essential to check the weather conditions before heading out to sea. Bodrum can experience strong winds and waves, so be sure to plan your trip during a calm period. Keep an eye on the weather forecast and listen to any warnings from local authorities.
3. Follow safety procedures: Before setting sail, make sure everyone on board is familiar with safety procedures and equipment. This includes wearing life jackets and knowing how to use emergency equipment. Don’t hesitate to ask the charter company for a safety briefing if necessary.
4. Hire a skipper: If you’re not an experienced sailor, consider hiring a skipper to help guide you through the waters. They can provide local knowledge and expertise, as well as ensure that everyone stays safe on board.
By following these tips, you can ensure that your sailing trip in Bodrum is both enjoyable and safe. With its beautiful coastline and stunning views, sailing is one of the best ways to explore this unique and exciting destination.
I sailed the Turkish Rivieria with SCIC-Sailing luxury yacht where I was able to discover historical cities, beautiful coastlines, sparkling sea, amazing food, and incredible nature.
There has been so much misinformation and fear among tourists that it is no surprise you are asking “Is Turkey safe?”
Unfortunately, tourism suffered in the last few years because of the political situation that was happening in some parts of the country.
To be exact, tourists are being advised to avoid the regions near the Syrian border, which can be uncertain.
Contrary to depictions in some media outside Turkey, this country is generally safe, people are polite and helpful, regardless of other person’s nationality.
As a matter of fact, it is among the top 10 most popular destinations in the world.
Turkey Travel Restriction 2023
The Turkish government has several travel restrictions that it uses to control its borders. This includes special measures to protect security and health in the country.
Travelers of all nationalities who meet Turkey’s immigration regulations can enter the country following the rules outlined below.
As always, foreigners need a passport and a valid visa or a copy of an approved online eVisa to travel to Turkey.
Visitors should check the latest lockdown update and travel advisories. Turkey’s travel restrictions for tourists are under constant review as the international situation evolves.
Potential Risk for Travelers in Bodrum
One concern is pickpocketing and theft, particularly in crowded tourist areas like markets and public transportation.
Travelers should keep a close eye on their belongings and be aware of their surroundings at all times. There have also been reports of scams and overcharging, especially when it comes to taxis and other transportation.
Another potential risk in Bodrum is the occasional natural disaster, such as earthquakes or floods.
It’s important to familiarize yourself with emergency procedures and evacuation routes and to monitor local news and weather reports.
Finally, there is the ongoing threat of terrorism in Turkey, which has been the site of several high-profile attacks in recent years. While Bodrum is not a high-risk area, travelers should exercise caution and be alert to any suspicious activity.
By understanding and preparing for these potential risks, travelers can help ensure a safe and enjoyable trip to Bodrum.
Who May Not Travel to Turkey
The Turkish government does not prohibit any nationalities from entering Turkey. The same COVID-19 requirements now apply to passengers arriving from all countries.
Most international tourists can travel to Turkey either visa-free or, for those fitting the requirements, with an eVisa.
Complete a “Traveler Entry Form” before arrival
All incoming passengers over the age of 6 must complete a “Traveler Entry Form” at least four days before their arrival in Turkey. Children under 6 are exempt.
The purpose of the form is to contact individuals who have been in contact with someone who later tested positive for COVID-19.
Visitors should provide contact information and the accommodation address in Turkey.
The “Form for Entry to Turkey” must be completed online and takes a few minutes. All passengers need to present it before boarding a flight to Turkey and again on arrival.
- Turkish Ministry of Health announced on April 26, 2022, that masks are only required indoors in public and education transportation vehicles and health institutions.
- U.S. citizens planning to travel overseas or currently overseas and planning to return to the United States should contact their airline for specific information about testing requirements for travelers. Airlines may adopt and modify their own specific policies to implement the CDC’s testing rule.
- Turkey has confirmed cases of COVID-19 within its borders.
- The Turkish Ministry of Health releases Turkey’s daily vaccination and COVID-19 numbers at https://covid19.saglik.gov.tr/.
- Passengers, regardless of their nationality, over the age of 18 who have not been vaccinated
Tourists/Non-Citizens: or with no record of Covid-19 (recovery) are required to submit PCR tests with a negative result, performed at most 48 hours before their domestic flight, as of September 6, 2021.
- PCR tests are not required in domestic flights for those who are vaccinated and flight is at least 14 days after the second dose or for those who are in the immunity period after a Covid19 infection.
“Exercise Increased Caution” is the statement for the whole of Turkey with only the below significant warnings mentioned:
“Do not travel to:
- Areas near the Syrian and Iraqi borders due to terrorism. (Level 4)
Reconsider travel to:
- Batman, Bingol, Bitlis, Diyarbakir, Gaziantep, Hakkari, Hatay, Kilis, Mardin, Sanliurfa, Siirt, Sirnak, Tunceli, and Van (Level 3)”
The Embassy of the United States in Ankara website also issues useful advice.
Safety Tips for Travelers in Bodrum
Here are some safety tips to help you enjoy a safe and memorable trip to Bodrum:
1. Research the Current Situation: Before you travel to Bodrum, make sure to research the current situation in the area. This includes staying informed about any potential political unrest, crime rates, and weather conditions.
2. Stay Vigilant: Be aware of your surroundings at all times and keep your valuables secure. Avoid carrying large sums of cash and keep your passport in a secure place. Pickpocketing and theft are common in tourist areas, so be extra cautious in crowded areas.
3. Dress Appropriately: As a tourist, you may stand out from the locals. Be respectful of the local customs and dress modestly, especially when visiting religious sites. Cover your shoulders and knees, and avoid revealing clothing.
4. Be Careful with Food and Drink: The local cuisine in Bodrum is delicious, but be careful when trying new foods. Avoid street food and make sure to wash fruits and vegetables before eating them. Be cautious of the tap water, and opt for bottled water instead.
5. Stay in Safe Accommodations: Choose safe and secure accommodations when staying in Bodrum. Check online reviews before booking your stay, and avoid areas known for crime or unsafe conditions.
6. Know the Emergency Numbers: It is important to know the emergency numbers for Bodrum. Keep a copy of the numbers with you at all times in case of an emergency.
By following these safety tips, you can enjoy a safe and enjoyable trip to Bodrum. Remember to stay informed, stay vigilant, and respect the local customs and traditions.
With a little preparation and awareness, you can have an unforgettable experience in Bodrum.
Cultural Considerations and Etiquette in Bodrum
As I stated earlier Bodrum is known for its rich history and culture, and it’s important to be aware of cultural considerations and etiquette when traveling there.
Here are some tips to help you navigate cultural differences:
1. Dress Code: Bodrum is a predominantly Muslim country, and it’s important to dress conservatively in public areas. Women should avoid wearing short skirts or shorts and opt for clothing that covers their shoulders and knees. Men should also dress modestly.
2. Religious Customs: As a Muslim country, Bodrum has customs and religious practices that may differ from what you’re used to. Respect prayer times and avoid entering mosques during prayer times. Be mindful of your behavior during Ramadan, which is a month-long period of fasting and religious observation.
3. Greetings: In Bodrum, it’s customary to greet people with a handshake or a kiss on both cheeks, but always be mindful of the person’s gender and religion. Men should avoid physical contact with women who are not their family members.
4. Communication: When communicating with locals, it’s best to be respectful and courteous. Try to learn a few basic phrases in Turkish, such as “hello,” “thank you,” and “please.” This will show locals that you respect their culture and are making an effort to communicate with them.
5. Gift-Giving: It’s common to give gifts in Bodrum, particularly when visiting someone’s home. Bring a small gift, such as a box of sweets or flowers, to show your appreciation.
Overall, showing respect and courtesy to locals is key to enjoying a safe and fulfilling trip to Bodrum.
Be aware of cultural differences and always try to be understanding and accepting of others’ customs. By doing so, you’ll be able to immerse yourself in the rich culture and traditions of Bodrum.
Terrorism in Bodrum
The chances of you being a victim of terrorism in Bodrum are extremely low. Bodrum is probably one of the safest destinations in Turkey and you don’t even have to worry about pickpocketing let alone terrorism.
Is Bodrum Safe for Solo Travelers?
It is very safe to travel to Bodrum alone as a Black woman. Because Bodrum is located off of the coast they are accustomed to seeing swimming suits, shorts, and tank tops.
The men in Turkey are very respectful and you will not be harassed or receive catcalls from men because you are sunbathing on the beach.
If you feel threatened and worried about your safety, you can ask people around you for help also.
Is Turkey Safe for Black Americans
As a Black American planning a trip to Turkey, you may be wondering whether the country is safe for travelers of your background.
While there is no doubt that Turkey has had its fair share of political turmoil in recent years, it is still considered a safe country to travel to.
Like any country, there are certain areas that may be more dangerous than others. For example, the southeast region of Turkey is currently facing a significant risk of terrorist activity and it is recommended that travelers avoid this area altogether.
However, Bodrum and other popular tourist destinations are generally safe for visitors.
When it comes to interactions with locals, Black Americans should be aware that they may encounter some ignorance or curiosity about their ethnicity.
It’s important to understand that Turkey is a predominantly Muslim country and many locals may have never met a Black American before.
You may be asked questions about your background or have your skin color commented on, but it is usually out of curiosity rather than hostility.
Overall, Turkey is a safe country for Black Americans to visit. I
It’s important to take basic safety precautions like being aware of your surroundings, avoiding demonstrations, and staying up-to-date on any security concerns.
If you do experience any harassment or discrimination, know that there are resources available to help you navigate the situation. With a little bit of research and planning, you can have a safe and enjoyable trip to Turkey.
Is Bodrum Safe for Families
Bodrum is completely safe for families, solo travelers, friends, couples, and generational travel. Families of all kinds are welcomed to Bodrum and the hospitality of the Turkish people is unlike anything I’ve ever experienced.
It doesn’t matter if you are exploring a remote village, a local coffee shop, or the upscale mall that houses the Louis Vuitton store you will be made to feel as if you belong in Bodrum.
If this is your first time traveling to Bodrum you will see families of all ages because it is a very safe destination. There are playgrounds all around the marina and you will see children of all ages playing.
Important_phone_numbers_for_emergency_situations”>Important Phone Numbers for Emergency Situations<
Below is a list of important phone numbers to learn before your visit to Bodrum, Turkey:
- 112: Emergency call center
- 155: Police
- 156: Gendarme
- 110: Fire department
Hospitals in Bodrum
I strongly suggest doing your research no matter the destination just in case something happens you will know where the local hospital is located and how you will pay for treatment if something unexpected happens.
Bodrum Public Hospital is the only public hospital in the region and if you are skeptical about Bodrum Public Hospital another option is Acıbadem Bodrum Hospital which is a relatively better option than Bodrum Public Hospital.
The best hospital to go to in Bodrum is Private Bodrum Hospital and below are some additional hospitals in Bodrum:
- 75. Yıl Milas Public Hospital
- Datça Public Hospital
- Marmaris Public Hospital
Consulates Near Bodrum
There are numerous consulates in Bodrum and Mugla province that you can go to if you have ever found yourself in a situation in which you need to contact your country’s embassy.
Keep in mind that you need an appointment before going to a consulate. Additionally, the opening and closing hours of different consulates might be different.
In Bodrum, you can find Austria, Germany, Belgium, Italy, India, and the United Kingdom consulates. And also, there is one consulate general in Bodrum.
Turkey Travel Warning
One of the most popular places along the Turkish coast, Bodrum brings in a million visitors each year. Such crowds can lead to unexpected dangers such as dangerous roads and drinking water that may not always be pure.
This ancient port means lots of beaches during the day and lots of dancing at night. However, you need to take special care in places like the airport and the roads as well as with the water.
The BJV Airport
The airport to Bodrum is very small so you will not be enjoying cocktails in a state-of-the-art lounge. With that being said keep in mind that eating and drinking options are limited. There are a few restaurants on-site but nothing lavish.
Water and Cocktails
Prior to chartering your yacht, I suggest checking with SCIC-Sailing to find out if there are any warnings that have been issued by the local authorities.
Also, I was told to try Raki which is a popular local alcoholic beverage that is very strong. This Turkish national drink is made of twice-distilled grapes and aniseed.
Raki is a serious business in Turkey. It’s the go-to spirit for celebrating a promotion or a birthday or for muting the pain of a job loss or the end of a relationship.
Buying Knock-off Handbags in Bodrum
Turkey is the third biggest exporter of counterfeit products to the EU after China and Hong Kong, according to data on the value of goods seized.
Falls in the value of the Turkish lira and the deterioration of the Turkish economy are further fuelling demand as such items become cheaper to traders buying in euros.
Foreigners can buy a high-quality replica of Gucci, YSL Fendi, and other high-end luxury brands for pennies on the dollar. Turkey is very well known for its production of high-quality textiles and leather goods.
Although I’ve seen counterfeit items in NYC I never thought there would be so many fake designer bags in Turkey of all places.
The more hidden the knock-offs were the better the quality of the items. I can tell you that I was shocked! As someone who appreciates the real bags, I know most of the details which you need to pay attention to.
I have purchased pre-owned items and always made sure these were authentic by purchasing them from a trusted seller such as trendlee or the real real.
My fear of buying a knock-off is always front and center but my bestie Rhonda is a luxury handbag connoisseur, thus we have discussed all the details one needs to pay attention to when buying a pre-owned bag.
This knowledge obviously helped me so I could spot the differences between the fake ones.
I traveled to Turkey with both my authentic Gucci and Fendi bag and the day I walked around the City Centre I was wearing my Gucci crossbody and I couldn’t tell the difference between the bag I had on vs. the replica.
I was in shock by the quality of the bags and the price point. If you are going to purchase a knock-off while in Turkey I suggest doing your research and really understanding leather and what makes a good bag.
Things to do in Bodrum
If you’re a history buff, then you can’t miss visiting the Bodrum Castle and Museum of Underwater Archaeology.
The castle, also known as the Castle of St. Peter, was built in the 15th century by the Knights of St. John and offers stunning views of the harbor.
The museum is located within the castle and features artifacts recovered from ancient shipwrecks found in the Aegean Sea.
As you walk through the castle and museum, you’ll be transported back in time as you learn about the ancient civilizations that once lived in this area, including the Greeks, Persians, and Ottomans. You’ll see a range of items from ancient coins to beautiful marble statues.
One of the most interesting exhibits in the museum is the collection of shipwrecks.
Bodrum is known for its rich maritime history, and this exhibit showcases the discoveries made by divers in the surrounding waters. Some of the highlights include the Uluburun Shipwreck, which dates back to the late Bronze Age, and the Yassıada Shipwreck, which is believed to have sunk in the 7th century AD.
Overall, a visit to the Bodrum Castle and Museum of Underwater Archaeology is a must-do for anyone interested in history or ancient civilizations. Plus, the views from the castle alone make it worth the trip!
Turkish Gulet Yacht Charter Company
SCICSailing Turkish Gulet Charter
Chartering a Turkish Gulet from SCIC- Sailing is a great chance to do all of these things and more. Depending on which Turkish Gulet you charter with SCIC-Sailing you will have access to swimming, beaches, and even exploring Cleopatra’s Island.
For many people, Turkish cruise tours are an unparalleled vacation opportunity. There’s something to be said for taking in all that luxury while traveling; it’s different than any other vacation experience out there.
One thing is for sure: It’s one that can only be truly understood by experiencing it yourself! If you’re planning on visiting Bodrum, I highly recommend looking into booking a luxury cruise as part of your trip.
These cruises offer guests some of the best amenities around – from lounging on the deck to delicious gourmet food prepared daily– not to mention some breathtaking views.
Cruising is often viewed as an activity for older adults but I traveled with content creators of all ages with my husband and me being the oldest at 50.
I suggest you visit Bodrum, Turkey now as it is slowly becoming one of the most popular tourist destinations in the world, and each year the number of visitors is increasing.
Turkish authorities are doing a good job of providing safety, and security is high so you should feel safe as long as you keep out of borders with Syria.
There is no true reason to fear a Turkish gulet cruise here are a few additional reasons to visit Bodrum:
- Turkey has very hospitable welcoming people, especially African American tourists.
- Taste some of the greatest cuisines and desserts that will leave you wanting more.
- Visit historic towns like Bodrum, Gocek, Antalya, Marmaris, and Fethiye.
- Visit Turkish villages.
- Turkey’s coast also has some of the most stunning beaches in the world followed by resorts that are surrounded by the turquoise sea and it offers some of the best value-for-money vacation options
- Gulets originated from Turkey and this type of vacation can guarantee you the best possible luxury cruise experience in the privacy and comfort on board.
- All gulets also come with a professional English-speaking crew who provide excellent service during the whole cruise. In Turkey, you can get the best value for your money than anywhere else!
For further details, visit the ScicSailing website to download the ScicSailing Sailing Brochure which is full of photography and facts.
The ScicSailing sailing cruises are 1 or 2 weeks from Saturday to Saturday
Individual sailing cruise 1 week per person including breakfast/lunch/5 dinners/all snacks in-between and all drinks including alcohol is priced from $1071.00 to $1271.
Safest and Luxury hotels in Bodrum
One of the most important factors when traveling is finding a safe and comfortable place to stay. Bodrum, Turkey offers a variety of luxury hotels that prioritize the safety and comfort of their guests.
One highly recommended hotel is the Mandarin Oriental, Bodrum. This 5-star resort is located on a private peninsula and offers stunning views of the Aegean Sea.
The hotel features 109 guestrooms and suites, each designed with luxury and comfort in mind. Additionally, the resort has 12 restaurants and bars, an award-winning spa, and multiple swimming pools.
Click here for Expedia rates.
Kempinski Hotel Barbaros
Another safe and luxurious option is the Kempinski Hotel Barbaros Bay. Situated on a private bay, this hotel boasts an extensive spa, fitness center, private beach, and multiple swimming pools.
The Kempinski also offers a variety of room options, including suites and villas with private pools.
Click here for Expedia rates.
For those looking for a more boutique experience, the Macakizi Hotel offers luxurious accommodations in a more intimate setting.
This stylish hotel features a private beach, two swimming pools, and an acclaimed restaurant. The hotel also offers various room types, including suites and bungalows.
Click here for Expedia rates.
The Edition Bodrum
The Bodrum Edition hotel is near the north center of the Bodrum peninsula. It’s about a 50-minute drive from the airport, and about a 30-minute drive from the town of Bodrum.
The Edition Bodrum offers a perfect blend of luxury and comfort, making it the ideal choice for couples seeking a romantic escape.
The hotel boasts stunning views of the Aegean Sea, and its architecture is a perfect mix of modern and traditional styles.
Click here for Expedia rates.
Overall, Bodrum offers a variety of safe and luxurious options for travelers. By choosing a reputable hotel and taking precautions to stay safe, travelers can enjoy a memorable and comfortable stay in this beautiful coastal town.
Ready to plan your trip, grab my FREE Vacation Planner to help you plan your trip in the time it takes to watch your favorite TV show!
If you would like to donate to Passports and Grub click here!
Is Bodrum Safe? Is Sailing around the Turkish Riviera with ScicSailing on your bucket list now? If you were apprehensive about experiencing the beauty of Turkey’s Aegean coast on a 7-day luxury cruise from Bodrum you should be!
Does visiting hidden bays and beaches, swimming, and snorkeling in the turquoise waters sound like heaven to you?
Are you also on Pinterest?
Why not save this post to your Pinterest board for later? I am also on Pinterest so feel free to follow Passports and Grub boards and get the latest pin directly.