Are you trying to decide between visiting Phuket or Krabi? While both of these gorgeous Thai destinations offer stunning beaches, lush jungles, and plenty of activities, they each have unique features that make them special.
In this blog post, we’ll discuss the pros and cons of both Phuket and Krabi, so you can make an informed decision on which destination is best for you.
The links in this post may be affiliate links. That means that if you click them and make a purchase, this site makes a commission. It will have no impact on the price you pay or the experience of your purchase.
Whether you’re looking for a quiet beach escape or an adventure-filled holiday, read on to learn more about Phuket and Krabi.
Phuket and Krabi are both popular tourist destinations in Thailand, each with unique characteristics and attractions. Here’s a comparison between Phuket and Krabi:
- Beaches: Both Phuket and Krabi have some of the most stunning beaches in Thailand. However, Phuket has more developed and commercialized beaches with a lot of activities and facilities like water sports, beach bars, and restaurants. Krabi, on the other hand, has more secluded and pristine beaches with a peaceful and serene atmosphere.
- Activities: Phuket offers a wide range of activities like elephant trekking, ATV riding, and zip-lining, as well as vibrant nightlife and shopping areas. Krabi, on the other hand, has a more laid-back atmosphere with activities like kayaking, rock climbing, and island-hopping.
- Natural beauty: Krabi is known for its stunning limestone cliffs, pristine beaches, and clear waters, which provide breathtaking views for travelers. Phuket, on the other hand, is more developed, with fewer natural sights and more urban areas.
- Accessibility: Phuket is more accessible, with an international airport that provides direct flights from major cities worldwide. Krabi has a smaller airport that mostly serves domestic flights, but it’s only a few hours away from Phuket by car.
- Accommodation: Both Phuket and Krabi offer a wide range of accommodations, from budget-friendly guesthouses to luxury resorts. However, Phuket has more high-end and luxurious options than Krabi.
Phuket vs Krabi which has the Better Location
When deciding between Phuket and Krabi, it’s important to consider location. Phuket is located on Thailand’s western coast, while Krabi is on the eastern coast.
This means that what to do in Phuket and Krabi can vary significantly. In Phuket, you have access to many of Thailand’s most popular beaches, including Patong, Kata Noi, and Kamala Beach.
You’ll also find vibrant nightlife and plenty of tourist attractions, such as the Big Buddha, Wat Chalong temple, and Promthep Cape.
In Krabi, you can explore stunning limestone cliffs and karst islands in the Ao Nang district, or take a day trip to Railay Beach or the hot springs of Khlong Thom.
If you prefer nature over the hustle and bustle of the city, Krabi is the place for you.
You can take a boat tour to explore the many caves and islands around Krabi, go kayaking and snorkeling in the mangroves of Ao Thalane, or trek through Khao Phanom Bencha National Park.
No matter what you choose to do, you won’t be disappointed with either Phuket or Krabi.
Phuket vs Krabi which will give you the Better Bang for your Buck
When it comes to budget, Phuket and Krabi offer a range of options for travelers. Both destinations offer both luxury and budget hotels, resorts, and restaurants.
But if you want to save money and still experience the culture and attractions of Thailand, then Krabi may be the better option. There are plenty of things to do in Phuket such as island hopping, enjoying the nightlife, or visiting its many beaches.
If the budget is not a factor and you prefer high-end accommodations like me you might want to make Phuket your home base and take day trips to experience the other islands.
In Krabi, you can enjoy activities like exploring its islands, discovering caves and mangroves, or heading out on boat tours.
Ultimately, it will depend on your preferences and budget when deciding which destination is the better option for you.
Things to do in Phuket and Krabi
When it comes to what to do in Phuket and Krabi, both destinations offer a wide range of activities that will please any traveler.
In Phuket, you can enjoy a variety of water sports, including snorkeling, scuba diving, kayaking, and sailing.
Here are some of the best things to do in Phuket:
- Visit the Big Buddha – The enormous golden Big Buddha sits atop a hill overlooking the city and is one of Phuket’s most popular attractions. It’s definitely worth the climb up for the incredible views.
- Go snorkeling or diving – The warm waters around Phuket are teeming with colorful fish and vibrant coral reefs. There are plenty of dive schools around to book lessons and tours.
- Shop at the Night Markets – Don’t miss the opportunity to explore the bustling night markets, where you’ll find everything from cheap souvenirs to delicious street food.
- Relax on the beaches – With so many beautiful beaches to choose from, it’s easy to find a spot to relax and soak up the sun. Patong Beach is probably the most popular spot.
- Take a cooking class – Get hands-on with Thai cuisine by taking a cooking class. You can learn how to make classic dishes like Pad Thai and Green Curry.
Krabi offers even more activities, with popular attractions such as the Tiger Cave Temple, Emerald Pool, and Phi Phi Island. Additionally, you can explore mangrove forests by canoe or go for a scenic hike.
For those looking for an adrenaline rush, Krabi also has plenty of rock climbing and mountain biking opportunities. No matter which destination you choose, you’ll find plenty of exciting things to do!
Best Things to do in Krabi:
- Krabi offers a wealth of activities that are perfect for both nature lovers and beach bums alike. From limestone cliffs to hidden beaches and waterfalls, here are some of the best things to do in Krabi:
- • Go island hopping – Krabi is surrounded by over 80 beautiful islands, each with its own unique scenery and activities. Spend a day exploring different islands by boat.
- • Visit Railay Beach – Railay Beach is accessible only by boat and is one of the most beautiful beaches in Thailand. Climb up one of the limestone cliffs or just relax on the beach.
- • Explore Wat Tham Sua – Also known as Tiger Cave Temple, this temple is located up a steep flight of stairs but offers stunning views from the top.
- • Experience Ao Nang Beach – Located in Krabi Town, this beach is perfect for swimming, sunbathing, and enjoying the view of nearby islands.
- • Enjoy the waterfalls – Emerald Pool and Hot Springs are two must-see waterfalls located in Krabi that are sure to take your breath away.
Weather in Phuket vs Krabi
When deciding between Phuket and Krabi, one of the biggest factors to consider is the weather.
Both Thailand destinations offer warm, tropical weather year-round, however, there are certain months that may be more favorable for certain activities.
Phuket enjoys warm temperatures all year round with temperatures ranging from 26 to 33°C (79 – 91°F).
The rainiest months are usually from May to October when it can be quite wet and humid. November to April is considered the dry season, making it an ideal time for swimming and other outdoor activities like what to do in Phuket – snorkeling, kayaking, and exploring its many beaches.
Krabi’s weather is similar to Phuket’s, with temperatures hovering around 29 to 33°C (84 – 91°F). The wettest months are July and August, while November through April is considered the driest and coolest period.
Ultimately, the best time to visit either destination will depend on what activities you are planning to do. Be sure to check the forecast before planning your trip to either Phuket or Krabi!
Who has the Best Hotels Phuket or Krabi?
When considering where to stay, both Phuket and Krabi have plenty of options to suit a variety of budgets. From resorts, villas, and luxury hotels, you can find something that works for you.
If you’re looking for some beach time, then head to Phuket, while Krabi is more suited to nature lovers who want to explore the islands and take part in activities like kayaking, rock climbing, and snorkeling.
Mai Khao Phuket Villas and Baynan Tree offer stylishly furnished villas with stunning sea views, infinity pools, and an abundance of facilities for a truly indulgent stay.
Who Better Restaurants Phuket or Krabi
Who has Better Nightlife Phuket or Krabi?
Who has the Best Beaches Phuket or Krabi?
Which is Safer Phuket or Krabi?
Conclusion: Phuket vs Krabi Which is Better
In summary, if you’re looking for a more developed and commercialized destination with plenty of activities and amenities, Phuket is the better choice.
However, if you’re looking for a more laid-back and natural environment with breathtaking views and a peaceful atmosphere, Krabi may be a better fit.
Phuket has more hotels than Krabi generally, many of which are on the top end of the scale, with 3-, 4- and 5-star properties dotting the beaches and touristy areas.
Ultimately, which is the better destination between Phuket and Krabi boils down to the sort of traveler you are and the sort of vacation you are hoping to enjoy.
Choose Phuket if you want a sophisticated vacation in a convenient and well-developed destination. If you want a great deal of choice that’s easily accessible, Phuket is for you.
By contrast, Krabi is excellent if you want to relax or play in a natural setting. Its comparatively undeveloped environment favors those who want to get away from any concerns, in a world not over-complicated by the trappings of modern society.
Thanks to its rugged setting, you can still enjoy Krabi if you’re looking for activity and excitement.
Both Krabi and Phuket offer a wide variety of experiences and, being fairly close to each other, there’s no reason why you can’t visit both places.
Ready to plan your trip, grab my FREE Vacation Planner to help you plan your trip in the time it takes to watch your favorite TV show!
If you would like to donate to Passports and Grub click here!
ADDITIONAL ARTICLES FOR EXPLORING PHUKET
ARE YOU ALSO ON PINTEREST?
Why not save this post to your Pinterest board for later? I am also on Pinterest so feel free to follow Passports and Grub boards and get the latest pin directly.