The underground Mega Cavern has been on the family’s bucket list for some time. My daughter has been begging to visit the Louisville cave zipline but I was hesitant because ziplining, underground, and cavern all rolled into one activity.
The Louisville Mega Cavern has a whopping 8185 reviews and a 4.5/5 rating on Trip Advisor.
I caved from the peer pressure of my daughter and decided to pack my family up and take a day trip to Louisville to see what all of the hype is about.
I have been zip lining in Costa Rica and Jamaica so when I stumbled across the Louisville Mega Cavern I knew this would be one of our summer stops for the kiddos but the underground part had be a little worried.
Mega Cavern in Louisville
The Louisville Mega Cavern began as a limestone mine in the 1930s and was mined until the 1970s. In 1989, it was acquired by private investors who saw the potential for the cavern to become more than just a storage facility.
Through controlled dynamite blasts, the cavern was formed. Floors and roads were created for Mega Space (the storage facility), but it was only a portion of the cavern’s 4,000,000 square feet.
The Louisville Mega Cavern is the largest building in the state of Kentucky hence the name “Mega” Cavern.
70% of the Louisville Zoo sits above the cavern and it runs under all ten lanes of the Watterson Expressway (I-264).
The Mega Cavern is also the safest place in Kentucky because it was to be used as a nuclear fallout shelter during the Cuban Missile Crisis.
Mega Caverns Louisville Kentucky
Address: 1841 Taylor Ave, Louisville, KY 40213
Time Required: 2 1/2 hours
Entrance Ticket Details For Louisville Mega Cavern
There is no Louisville mega cavern cost but you have to be included in an activity to enter.
Louisville Mega cavern zip line cost:
- Monday- Friday: Adult/ Child: USD $69
- Saturday- Sunday: Adult/ Child: USD $59
- College Student: carry ID, Adult- USD $49
- Adult (Monday – Friday): USD $35
- Adult (Saturday – Sunday): USD $39
- Child (Monday – Friday): USD $29 for ages 5-11
- Child(Saturday – Sunday): USD $35
- Groups of 12 or more all week: USD $29
Louisville Mega cavern tram price: Tax is additional
- Adults: USD $3.50 (ages 12-59)
- Children: USD $8 (ages 3-11)
- Seniors: USD $12 (age 60 and above)
Lights under Louisville Cost:
- Car/Truck/SUV/Minivan: USD $25.00
- Van: USD $35.00
- Limo: USD $50.00
- Church Bus (excluding school bus size): USD $60.00
- School Bus: USD 1$00.00
- MotorCoach: See website for rates
- Get a USD 5.00 off coupon at participating Wendy’s restaurant.
- Lights under Louisville VIP tickets: USD 41
Mega underground Bike Park Price for Adult/ Child: Tax is additional
- 4-hour pass: USD $24
- 8-hour pass: USD $40
- 4 hours for 2 days: USD $40
- 8 hours pass for 2 days: USD $64
- Group rate for four-hour pass: USD $20
Louisville Mega Cavern Hours
Louisville mega cavern hours:
- 10 am – 9 pm
Mega cavern zip line time:
- Monday- Friday: 8.30 am – 9.30 am
Lights under Louisville time:
- Monday- Friday: 6 pm to 10 pm
- Saturday – Sunday: 5 pm to 10 pm
Underground Bike Park timing:
- Monday- Friday: 12 NOON – 8 pm
- Saturday: 9 am – 10 pm
- Sunday: 12 NOON – 8 pm
World’s Only Fully Underground Zip Line Course
The Louisville Mega Cavern is so much more than just Underground Ziplining; it’s an underground adventure rich in history, geology, and mining so if you are expecting to just zip line you will be in for an amazing treat.
Attractions At The Mega Cavern
The Louisville Mega Cavern offers five “underground adventures”: Mega Bikes, Mega E-Bike, Mega Quest, Mega Tram, and Mega Zip.
After reading hundreds of reviews on trip advisor we decided to make reservations because I found out the hard way they sell out fast and I didn’t want to drive from Murfreesboro to Louisville only to find out they were sold out.
The cavern is a constant 58°F year-round, so please do not forget your jacket, and if stay cold like I do you will also need a scarf, gloves, and earmuffs!
The Mega Cavern in Louisville is the Ultimate Family Experience
The Cavern includes everything from MEGA Zips- an adventurous and scary experience featuring six underground zip lines.
This tour is guaranteed to get your heart racing and your adrenaline pumping. If you are looking for a one-of-a-kind adventure, MEGA ZIPS is not to be missed.
My bonus daughter Camille is deathly afraid of heights but after the third zip she was a pro and all of her fears were gone; until the last zip which is the dual racing zip!!
Can you say OMG!! I almost pooped my pants, but it was so much fun and well worth it.
Underground Zipline Mega Tram
We also took the 60 to 70-minute Historic Tram Tour inside of the Mega Cavern.
You will see rock formations, a replica of the Cuban Missile Crisis Fallout Bunker, worm recycling and tasting room, and learn about the original mining operation.
This is one of two places in the United States where you can tour a cavern by tram.
Wheelchair trams are also available.
The Guides at Louisville Mega Cavern
We had a great experience zipping with our guides Cameron and Josh! They were reassuring and hilarious!!!
It was my husband and daughter’s first-time zip lining and they made sure we felt safe and had a great time.
The zip was not very scary until we reached the suspension bridge, but we took our time, and guess what? We did not die.
Cameron and Josh distracted us with jokes and conversation like pros!
I never knew I could be whizzing along at 50+mph so high above the ground — while being underground! If you are visiting Louisville or live in close proximity to KY the Louisville Mega Cavern will not disappoint.
Have you been zip lining? Better yet have you been Underground Ziplining?
The cavern is also available for rent for your private party, meeting, or event.
What You Need To Know
- World’s Only Fully Underground Zip Line Course
- Ranked as the #1 attraction in Louisville by Trip Advisor
- Six Zip Lines and Two Challenge Bridges
- Up to 2 1/2 hours per tour (depending on group size)
- Must be at least 7 years old and weigh between 55 and 285 lbs.
- Anyone under the age of 15 must be accompanied by an adult 18 or older.
- For Groups of 12 or more call (502) 855-3581 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Walk-ins Welcome (No guarantee of space available without a reservation).
- Open Year-Round
Ready to plan your trip, grab my FREE Vacation Planner to help you plan your trip in the time it takes to watch your favorite TV show!
If you would like to donate to Passports and Grub click here!
ADDITIONAL ARTICLES FOR TRAVELING TO TENNESSEE
Are you also on Pinterest?
Why not save this post to your Pinterest board for later? I am also on Pinterest so feel free to follow Passports and Grub boards and get the latest pin directly