Travel no further than your backyard to spend time with the family this summer whether it’s looking for romantic camping ideas, backyard camping date night or you are looking for backyard camping ideas for the whole family.
A family camp-out in your backyard will create a memorable experience for everyone especially your kids during these times of uncertainity surrounding COVID-19.
In Tennessee, we enjoy about five months of sunshine per year. Once the weather warms up we practically live outside from having dinner by the pool, chasing waterfalls, family time at the dozen or so waterparks, playing oversized games, listening to music and even watching tv.
Given the amount of time we spend outdoors I decided it was time for our backyard to look and feel like an outdoor living space where we can travel and camp without leaving the comfort of our home.
Unfortunately, you can easily spend a ton of money renovating your backyard and purchasing items to turn your backyard into the ultimate campground.
Overspending is not neccessary to come up with backyard camping ideas and creating the ultimate backyard camping datenight.
My backyard is my home away from home and it serves as a place of peace and calm for my family. It’s a way for us reconnect with nature and a way to spend a little time outside during this quaratine.
For this reason, you might consider improving your outdoor space – what better time for a makeover than this spring when we are not allowed to leave our homes.
Clean It Up Your Backyard
First things first, before you get started with your backyard makeover you need to clean up any unneccessary junk from the kids toys to old umbrellas and dead branches.
If you want your kids to truly have a backyard camping experience it will need to feel like they are really camping.
Trim your trees, get rid of dead bushes, pull up weeds and get rid of old any old lawn furniture that needs to be replaced. Also, check for damage to your walkways or any other maintenance issues that need to be repaired.
Open Outdoor Living Area
My favorite idea for a backyard makeover is creating an outdoor living area that is perfect for backyard camping or having a date night right at home.
Imagine, instead of spending hundreds of dollars going out for dinner you can create a luxury dining experience right in your own backyard.
Make sure the outdoor furniture is durable and can withstand the weatther which will make your backyard escape the perfect home away from home.
Mosquito Proof Your Backyard
Next, on my to do list is to mosquito proof your backyard before you have that backyard datenight or send the kiddos into your newly remolded backyard to go camping.
I hate mosquitos and we all know how easily backyard fun can be disrupted by mosquitoes biting at your legs, arms and just swarming around you. Nothing can ruin your backyard camping ideas more than these pesky bloodsuckers.
- Eliminate standing water around your home
- Strategically place scented herbs and oils around your backyard
- Scatter coffee grounds
- Grow mosquito-repellent plants
- Install insect-repelling lights around your yard
- Hire a professional to spray your yard with a mosquito treatment
- Hang Spartan Mosquito Eradicator
It doesn’t matter if this is your first time exploring backyard camping ideas with your family or you are well versed in camping activities – get ready to immerse yourself in all things outdoors without leaving the comforts of your home.
Plan your backyard-getaway —complete with my favorite s’mores recipe—with these helpful hints.
How to Create a Cozy Backyard Campsite
- If you already have a tent: Set your tent up outside on a smooth, flat surface that your kiddos will call home for the next few nights. After you set up your tent, have the kids make the insides all cozy by lining the tent floor with blankets and comforters and if that isn’t enough just whip the old air mattress for extra cushion.
- Make your own tent: You can easily make your own tent by tying a clothesline between two trees and simply hanging a large tarp or blanket over top. I also suggest laying down a waterproof tarp underneath y’all from getting wet from the morning dew and then add your blankets, comforters and pillows.
- Pool Bed: Purchase an inflatable pool and set up so y’all can stargaze
- Fun part: Make the night magical by setting up lights around the outside of the tent or hanging string lights around the tent so they will illuminate. I also love the glow in the dark sphere balls to give it a little bit of a luxury feel. The lights will help kids feel more comfortable camping in the backyard in the dark.
- Communication: Also make sure you have walkie talkies so they have a way to contact you or communicate just in case they get a little scared during the night.
My daughter is a foodie at heart and one of the best things about camping is eating around the fire!
Do you have a firepit? If not grab one from Home Depot or Lowes around $100.00 or less. If you have a fire pit you can cook hot dogs, make smore’s or even throw some fish and veggies in foil packets and make one of my favorite Jamaican meals – “Fish in a Foil.”
Check out some of my favorite camp-friendly recipes here.
Activities for Backyard Camping
The kiddos can have so much outside and give you that needed break after being locked in the house for weeks because of the coronavirus. Here are some of our favorite activities to keep the kids entertained all night.
- Old school Games: Classic old school games like Simon Says, Tag and Name That Tune and even Jinga are fun for all ages.
- Hide and Seek: One of the kids hide a small trinket in the backyard, then, when the sunsets, everybody goes on a hunt to find the hidden item. It’s like having a scavenger hunt in your own backyard.
- Campfire Stories: If you are thinking about backyard camping ideas gathering around a fire for a good scary story is the best thing going? Grab a few flashlights and have everyone put the flashlight up to their faces and each kid will take turns telling scary stories.
- Search for Stars: Buy a telescope, spread out a blanket, pillows and take turns stargazing. Print out pictures of constellations or simply allow the kids to use their imaginations.
No Running In and Out of The House
I am an old school parent so I believe once they are outside for the night – they need to stay outside and there will not be any running back in and out of the house every few minutes.
The kids should know they are only allowed back in the house in case of an emergency or bathroom breaks. Camping can be fun whether it’s your first time camping and this is a way to reconnect with your kids.
Datenight Backyard Ideas For Adults
Updating your backyard is not just about the kids having a space to hangout but also a place where you and your partner can spend quality time together without social media or electronics and just talk.
The best way to do that is to send the kids to bed and create a romantic space for just you and the hubby. I am big proponent of women understanding they still need to date their husbands after the kiddos come along and a romantic dinner in your backyard is just what the doctor ordered.
A picnic right in the comfort of your own backyard is a great way to have to spend a little quality time with your boo and not break the bank.
It’s really not about the food but more about the experience. Most picnics aren’t complete, even in the backyard, without a blanket and picnic basket.
If your backyard is uneven find a few medium sized, flat rocks to use as coasters to prevent wine glasses and food from tipping over. You can also spruce up your romantic backyard picnic by putting flowers from right out of your garden around the picnic area.
You don’t need to go spending a ton of money because this is about showing your husband or wife you are thinking about them. The thoughtfulness of you taking the time to put this together will go a long away in showing your partner you are putting their needs first.
After you have your backyard picnic next up is maybe watching a romantic comedy. Dinner and an outdoor movie is the perfect way to put your electronics away and reconnect with your spouse.
Turn your ordinary backyard into extraordinary oasis by setting up a movie projector, grabbing a bottle of wine and a bag of popcorn.
If you dont have a projector no worries all you will need is a sheet, rope, a projector, and a few throw pillows.
Hang the sheet by tying a rope between two trees. Throw your white sheet over the line and voila you have your own makeshift backyard theather.
Your outdoor movie screen is ready and now all you need is a good movie! All that is left to do is grab your pillows, blankets and snacks.
Create Craft Cocktails
Craft cocktails are a must for any datenight whether you are camping in your backyard or at a 5 star restuarant. Create an adult beverage that can help beat the heat while relaxing in the backyard.
Conclusion of Backyard Camping Ideas & Romantic Datenight
If you are looking for something fun and creative to do for your family or even a backyard date night for the you and the hubby these tips should have you all set on making your backyard more beautiful and make it camp ready.
A solid budget and some imagination is all you will need to create the perfect backyard campground. If you want to get really fancy or you have extra cash on hand how about adding a simple outdoor kitchen, or a built-in barbecue grill.
Lastly, don’t forget about to add those mosquito repelling flowers to your garden to protect eveyone from being eaten alive.
Ready to plan your trip, grab my FREE Vacation Planner to help you plan your trip in the time it takes to watch your favorite TV show!
If you would like to donate to Passports and Grub click here!
Hopefully my backyard camping ideas and romantic camping ideas provided you with a list of ways to connect this summer with your family. Have you ever had a backyard camping datenight or allowed your kiddos to camp in the backyard?
ARE YOU ALSO ON PINTEREST?
Why not save this post to your Pinterest board for later? I am also on Pinterest so feel free to follow Passports and Grub boards and get the latest pin directly.