This post contains affiliate links. This means I may make a small commission if you make a purchase after clicking on a link in this post.
You’ve booked the vacation of a lifetime to Mexico and are ready to start relaxing on the beach with a fruity cocktail in one hand and a taco in the other but first you need to figure out what to pack for Mexico.
Print out my list of what to pack for Mexico for a stress-free trip and to make sure you don’t forget any beach essentials.
I have traveled to Mexico dozens of times and I am often get asked, “What to wear in Mexico”? So I put together this Mexico Packing List just for you.
It was a total dream. While I knew I would be spending a ton of time relaxing by the pool and beach which meant I would need to pack a few bathing suits and caftans but what about hiking, dinner, and excursions?
I created this ultimate packing list for Mexico for your next vacation.
Keep reading because I also share about how to stay safe in Mexico and the best time to travel to Mexico.
Packing List For Mexico
You will find helpful tips on packing for Mexico, examples of what to wear depending on the time of the year and weather in Mexico for your travel dates.
In addition to the packing list for Mexico, I will also provide safety tips to help you feel more secure while traveling to Mexico .
TOP TIPS FOR WHAT TO WEAR IN MEXICO
I have broken this Mexico packing list up into the categories: Travel documents/cash, luggage, inflight essentials, clothes, shoes, toiletries, makeup, bags, gadgets, and accessories. You need to think about these four major things when considering packing for your trip to Mexico.
- The time of year you are visiting and the weather
- How much walking you will do
- How much luggage you want to take
- Your personal style
“MUST-PACK” ESSENTIALS BEFORE YOU DEPART FOR MEXICO
These items are the ones you absolutely must pack for your trip to Mexico
Passport – Is good practice to have at least 6 months validity on your passport. Make sure you make copies of your passport and I also take a picture of my passport and store the image on my phone as well.
Visa(s) – make sure you have read and understood the visa requirements for your nationality. 3 month (90 days) visitor visas are issued on arrival to nationals of the USA, Canada, Australia, and New Zealand.
Insurance – do not forget to organize insurance for your trip. It’s one of those things that you probably won’t use but is essential if something goes wrong on your travels like when I got extremely sick in the Czech Republic which was the one time I didn’t purchase insurance. Lesson learned!
Money — I recommend bringing two credit cards (one to use, and one to keep as a backup), and your debit card.
Make sure you use credit cards with no foreign transaction fees. For the life of GAWD do not exchange money in the airport we just withdraw from an ATM when we got there), but you can purchase Pesos at your bank if it makes you feel more comfortable.
BEACH VACATION PACKING LIST
What to Pack for Mexico: The Suitcase
Kenneth Cole 2 piece luggage set, Bric’s X Travel Carry-on Spinner, Laptop Backpack, Tory Burch Backpack: These items are perfect for a trip to Mexico thanks to their size and material.
You will also be able to pack a few souvenirs as well without feeling like your luggage is about to burst at the seams.
What to Pack for Mexico: The Personal Item
If you’re wondering what to pack for Mexico for hanging out at the beach I suggest these sturdy daypacks and beach bags for going to the beach, taking day trips and hikes.
You should be able to fit everything you need in one backpack that is water-resistant and sturdy
What to Pack for Mexico: In-Flight Essentials
- Bang & Olufsen Noise-Cancelling Over-Ear Headphones and Airplane Adapter: These are a great pair of affordable, yet durable headphones for the airplane.
- Travel Pillow.
- Sleeping Mask.
- A pair of socks.
- Hand sanitizer
WHAT TO PACK FOR MEXICO: CLOTHING
Comfort is paramount on vacation, but that also means avoiding disapproving stares because you are dressed inappropriately or being harassed by local men.
You can still be stylish without dressing like a stripper. It’s extremely hot in Mexico so follow their lead and pack clothes with clean lines, neutral colors and easy-to-care-for fabrics.
I suggest wearing shorts, tank tops, long sundresses, and maybe a cute skirt:
- 3 Basic Tank Tops
- 3 Basic T-Shirts
- 2 Maxi Dress
- 3 Blouses Nice Dress up blouses for dinner
- 2 Pairs of Panties — You can wash out easily.
- 2 Yoga Pants — hiking or lounging around.
- 2 Swimsuit — The Arch is amazing!
- 1 travel wrap — Double as a wrap for restaurants because it’s always cool
WHAT TO PACK FOR MEXICO: SHOES
Flats, stylish sandals, cute flip flops and sneakers are a great option and can easily transition from exploring Mayan ruins to a lovely Mexican restaurant.
I also suggest leaving your heels and wedges at home because they will be brutal to your feet so please leave them at home.
- Tory Burch Napa Leather Sandal: Great for dinner or casually strolling through Mexican towns
- Women’s Gazelle sneakers: Comfortable sneakers are a must if you’re packing for a trip to Mexico. Between snorkeling and hiking you’ll need a sturdy and comfortable pair.
- Calvin Klein Ballet Flats: These casual yet stylish ballet flats will do the trick for dinner or a night out on the town.
- Tory Burch Espadrilles: Pack your favorite pair of flip-flops for the beach, of course.
- New Balance Sneaker: These breathable sneakers are great for any day excursions that might be on your itinerary and for days when you’ll be walking a lot.
WHAT TO PACK FOR MEXICO: TOILETRIES
- Mosquito-Repellent Bracelet: Yes, Mexico has mosquitos so you will need a repellent – Avoid chemicals and the smell of DEET bug spray by just wearing a bracelet.
- Good Vibes Only Sun Kit: Sunscreen, after-sun lotion, lip balm, and face sunscreen all in one convenient, travel-sized kit. If you travel to Mexico during the summer months please remember the sun is brutal!
- Hand Sanitizer: I am not a germaphobe but I prefer not to be sick while traveling so please use hand sanitizer as often as possible.
MAKEUP ESSENTIALS FOR MEXICO
- Eye Pencil
- Makeup brushes
- Face Cleanser
- Hair styling products
- Hair brush/comb
- Hair bands
- Toothpaste / floss
- Feminine hygiene products
- Nail file / scissors
WHAT TO PACK FOR MEXICO: THE PURSE
- Tory Burch Canvas Crossbody Bag: This chic anti-theft bag is perfect to dress up or down when you’re in Mexico.
WHAT TO PACK FOR MEXICO: GADGETS
- GoPro Hero 7: This camera is great to take on your travels, as it’s small, durable, and allows you to capture pictures and videos of your entire journey, both in the water and out.
- Anker Portable Phone Charger: Pack a portable charger to keep your phone charged after taking all those amazing Italy Instagramable photos.
- Selfie Stick with Tripod: For what to pack for Mexico for your phone, you should make sure you have a selfie stick with a tripod to take all of those awesome selfies.
WHAT TO PACK FOR MEXICO (That I Didn’t but Should Have)
- Extra Resort-Wear: I wish I had an extra cover-up or maxi dress with me to have on at the beach and pool area during the day.
- Portable Clothes Line: This would have been great to have to hang up bathing suits at the end of each day so they dried quicker.
- Thin Sweater: Any sort of thin layering piece is ideal for mild nights in Mexico.
WHAT NOT TO FORGET- MEXICO PACKING LIST
- Pain Relief: you know what works best for you, bring your favorite products from home for headaches, joint, and muscle pain
- Constipation Relief: Traveler’s constipation is real and you don’t want to be uncomfortable while on vacation.
- Pancho: Any sort of thin layering piece is ideal for mild nights in Mexico.
- Laundry detergent Sheets – Keep your clothes smelling fresh and you will be able to wear certain items more than once.
- Sea Bands & Non-Drowsy Dramamine — If you’re prone to motion sickness I strongly recommend adding Sea Bands to your Mexico packing list especially if you are taking excursions to see the Arch or taking a day trip to Tulum. Take some Non-Drowsy Dramamine and wear the sea band so you will not become seasick.
WHAT NOT TO PACK FOR MEXICO
I am not one of those people who can pack for two weeks in a carry on but after years of traveling, I have learned to leave somethings behind.
Leave items you will probably not use will be extra heavy or can be found easily at your destination.
- Valuables: Leave anything that’s flashy at home to avoid being a target for pickpockets.
- Full-sized shampoo and conditioner – too heavy and take up too much room and will weigh your luggage down.
- Guidebooks – You don’t need to walk around with a guide book in your hand. Read them before you go or download the Lonely Planet Mexico Travel Guide ebook
- Hairdryer – most hotels provide hair dryers
- Books– I am on the fence on books because I am old school and I love to hold books or magazines in my hand but some are extremely heavy so you can invest in a Kindle or download the books to your iPad or phone
PACKING FOR MEXICO – WEATHER
Always, always check the weather forecast a week before your trip to see what is in store when planning what to wear in Mexico.
Nothing will ruin your trip quicker than not being prepared for rain or the blistering heat of Mexico City.
After you have researched the weather then you begin to focus on creating an Instagram worthy travel wardrobe which will fit easily in your suitcase and I suggest using packing cubes to store outfits by the day of the week.
SAFETY TIPS WHILE TRAVELING TO MEXICO
Make sure you take extra precautions while traveling to certain parts of Mexico because pickpockets and petty crime are at an all-time high in certain regions. Professional thieves can pick tourist out in their sleep.
If you don’t want to look like a tourist I suggest packing a sturdy leather purse that hangs in the front of your body and not on the sides or back.
I wasn’t a big fan of Fanny packs initially but they are starting to grow on me so fanny packs and travel scarfs are an option to keep your money and credit cards safe.
Keep important documents like passports, visas, money and credit cards in a money belt or try an anti theft diversion kit. Keep thieves at bay with hair brushes, deodorant, hair spray or other items that look like the real deal!
In addition to all these physical items definitely make sure to also bring: an open heart & mind, patience, a balanced sense of humor and an adventurous spirit!
Click here to watch the Video on Is Mexico Safe!
Conclusion of What To Pack For Mexico
Keep in mind that bad things can anywhere not just in Mexico but I am sure there are crimes taking place right in your very own neighborhood.
No matter where you go in Mexico, follow the common-sense rules that are listed above like drinking only in moderation, getting a cab instead of wandering around after dark, and leaving your expensive watches and rings at home.
Now that you know what to pack for Mexico download my free vacation planner and you also might like to read my articles on the Best Airline travel credit cards and 21 Travel hacking tips as you plan your next vacation.
Ready to plan your trip, grab my FREE Vacation Planner to help you plan your trip in the time it takes to watch your favorite TV show!
ARE YOU ALSO ON PINTEREST?
Why not save this post to your Pinterest board for later? I am also on Pinterest so feel free to follow Passports and Grub boards and get the latest pin directly.